Monday, December 9, 2013
I use Bento to organize my other genealogy files so why not use it for pictures as well? I created a database to record the family name, the subject, the type of photo, who gave me the photo, where it is stored and a bunch of other information. This way I can keep a visual record along with as much other information I need to store. Plus since I have the surname as a separate field, I can sort the records by name. This makes it easier to share specific family pictures. Another important field is where the photo is stored. Each of my archive boxes are listed, along with some places like my mother's heritage album. Now I have a record of what is in each box too! So this might not be a perfect way to organize pictures, but so far it is working out pretty well.
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Monday, November 25, 2013
Usually I scan older or larger pictures with the Epson. This way I am getting a really clean scan and I already have the image as a tiff. This does take time but I can scan a few smaller pictures at a time and the scanner automatically finds the edges so there isn't a lot of cropping. (I like to listen to different podcasts while doing the scanning since I don't have to think really hard about what I am doing and it makes the time go faster!)
I can scan wallet size or snapshots with the flip-pal and move much quicker through a stack. I scanned over 300 pictures in just a few hours. I do have rechargeable batteries since it does go through batteries. After scanning each photo I store the digital file into a sort folder on my desktop for the next step. Each photo does need to be cropped since the scan is of the entire glass, not just the picture. I stack the printed photos so that they will be in the same order as the scanned images. This does save some time when it comes to organizing the photos on my computer.
Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Monday, November 11, 2013
|some of the photo boxes plus the slide box|
First off I don't have a lot of extra money so I knew I had to do all the scanning and organizing myself. So the first problem I had to tackle was where to put the pictures after I scanned them. I just could not return them to the plastic bags or boxes or old albums since they would get more damaged that way. I knew I needed to get archival boxes (and already had gotten 1 box for old slides) but how many? At this point I decided that I needed to divide into four groups. My parents are divorced so having their family pictures separate works and my mother-in-law had also died so that seemed to work okay as well. So I purchased four regular size boxes for each family surname (Groenhof, Naber, Green, Vorce). But I also had quite a few pictures that were bigger than the standard size picture box. So I purchased three boxes for pictures up to size 12x9. (The reason I went with three is because my side just didn't have a ton of large pictures so I could easily store them in one box.) But I also had some really large pictures of my kids as well as heritage pictures that needed a bigger box. So I purchased one box (19.5 x 13) to hold all those really large pictures that would not be brought out much.
I wrote on the side of each archival box the size so I would know which box fit which picture and added initials of the family (G/N for my side). Plus I labeled the four small boxes with the family name as well. So now it was time to start scanning!
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
So that went by fast! That is the time from my last post to this one. I just didn't make the time to post anything and didn't have any inspiration either. Plus I didn't get far into scanning since I still have hard drive storage space issues. Now school is almost done and we will see what the summer brings! Anyway, this is my daughter's tulip time picture from this year.
Sunday, March 10, 2013
|A corner of my room circa 1982|
This picture shows the turtle I made in shop (which I don't remember doing), the pot I painted (and don't remember) and the dolls I collected (and still have) which are sitting in an old shelf which I wonder where it went!