Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My SWEET Dutch Genealogy!


I was reading the newest issue of the Family Tree Magazine (August 2010) today and was on page 6, checking out the readers responses. The first one jumped out at me called "Dutch Sweet". This man in Lockport, Ill. (I won't put his name here since I don't know him but you can look in the magazine!) responded back with two websites covering Groningen and Friesland provinces which have SCANNED images of the ledgers recording birth, marriages and deaths! I was so excited! I went to the Friesland site, www.allefriezen.nl, and put in my maiden name since that family came from the Friesland area. WOW! I immediately found my 3rd great grandfather, Gerben Groenhof who died in 1871. I posted the copy I downloaded above. I totally cannot believe I have never heard of these sites before! The other site is www.allegroningers.nl and I feel to overwhelmed by the one document to look for more! (Maybe I will print it out so I can drool over it :) The genealogist work is never done, especially with the greatest invention on earth, the internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment