Friday, October 14, 2011

The Civil War & Ira Green

Last week I received the military records for Ira Green, direct ancestor of my husband.  It says he was living in Kalamo Michigan but was born in Duanesburg New York.  He was forty-two years old and a farmer in September 1864.  One surprising item was that he was 6 feet tall.  His son Clark was much shorter as is my husband.

Although I didn't learn much new information, it was cool to find that Ira served in the Civil War.  I already knew that his father, Weaver served in the War of 1812 and the grandfather Joseph, in the Revolutionary War.  Two great-grandson's were in World War II so now I need to find a WWI vet to round off the tree!

Ira had three sons but they would have been in their sixties by 1917.  One of the sons, Clark, had three sons as well but I hadn't heard anything relating to military service.  But they would be the right age.  The youngest (and direct line) Philmore would have been 24 years old.  He was already married and had 1 child.  Something to look into!

2 comments:

  1. Hi , Was Ira an artist by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do not know the answer to that! (I know it's 2019 know but I truly didn't see comments until today.)

      Delete