Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Brick Wall Comes Tumbling Down, Pt. 1

I finally had a big break through on one of my double family tree lines after many years of frustration!  I am related through BOTH my parents to a pair of brothers, Jacob & Johannes De Vries.  From a family tree created by another family member, I knew their parents were Jan Kornelius De Vries & Luikje Ebels.  I never questioned that information.  Why not?  I guess I figured they had documentation to back it up.

But now I have new information and it came about because I wanted to correctly source my main tree.  As many newbies do, I was so excited collecting information that I didn't source anything.  Maybe this is because there is SO MUCH information coming at you at first that it is just so overwhelming.  Whatever the reason, I wanted to make sure my sources where documented.  I started with my own birth & marriage records and started going back, looking for birth, marriage and death records for each ancestor.  This finally brought me back to the Johannes De Vries & Jacob De Vries brothers.

Johannes De Vries's marriage record in 1887 to Gertrude Bos lists his parents as Jan De Vries & Luikje Mulder.    Jacob De Vries's marriage record in 1887 to Agina Marlink does not list parents.  It actually was a few years ago that I looked up the marriage records and I really hadn't given it much time since then.  I figured that it was a mistake.  But recently that old block was haunting me again.

In past years, I had done numerous searches on Genlias (now WieWasWie) for a De Vries married to an Ebels, coming up with nothing.  I looked for any name close to Luikje Ebels in birth records and found nothing.  Yes, there were a lot of Jan De Vries's but I only knew the father was Kornelius so I wasn't able to pin point the right record.  But guess what happened when I tried De Vries and Mulder?  Yep, it came right up!
From this record, it was an easy search to find both birth records.  Jan De Vries was born November 13, 1816 NOT February 1816.  (I think the February date came from his death record which listed is age as 75 years 11 months.)  Luiktje Mulder was born February 29, 1822 to Jakob Hendriks Mulder & Pieterke Lammerts Jolman.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Beth (far off cousin),
    Just a few small pointers & additions;
    1. In all cases it's Kornelis and not Kornelius. In fact it's normally spelt Cornelis, but in the most northern regions of the Netherlands it was sometimes spelt with a K but not regular.
    2. Jan Kornelis was born in Hornhuizen, a tiny Village on the north coast of Groningen. There is only polder and a dyke separating it from the Waddenzee. Hornhuizen was part of the municipality Kloosterburen.
    2. Jan's father was Kornelis Geerts de Vries who was born in Oudega, Friesland. Clearly being a Frisian living in Groningen he took de surname 'de Vries' in 1811. Literally meaning, Kornelis the Frisian.
    Perhaps we can exchange some information? I don't have to much of the US generations, so maybe you can help me out? I can provide a lot about the whole family tree (400 people) of Geert Hindriks Bakker, the father of Jantje Geerts, the mother of Jan de Vries.
    Regards from the Netherlands,
    Jan Achterbergh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - blow me away. I totally missed this. Thank you so much for responding! I would LOVE to exchange information if you are still around some where. I could totally kick my self for not ever seeing this.

      (I know it's 2019 know but I truly didn't see comments until today.)

      Delete