Monday, June 22, 2015

Blue Willow Love

I always have liked the blue willow pattern.  No, I didn't grow up with it in my house and I don't
remember any of my grandparents having it either.  I did have a friend in grade school whose parents owned a nice house (at least it was to me) and had a beautiful side board with china.  I think that is where I saw it and remembered it in part of my mind.

When I really look at the pattern now, I like the boarder with the geometric shapes and the two birds flying free plus the bright blue color (that's the dutch side).  I also have a fondness for willow trees.  We had two in our yard as a child that we used for swings and they were beautiful.  But there were many things I never noticed about it also.  I never looked at the buildings and thought China or saw the three men charging over the bridge.

I bring this up now because we are moving stuff out of my father-in-law's house due to a move to a different state.  I kept on coming across pieces of the blue willow here and there, a lot of it damaged.  Then there was a WHOLE box full of it.  It was covered in dust and a few pieces cracked but still beautiful.

Out of all the different patterns and types of china we are uncovering, this one seems unloved and unappreciated, even though someone else must have loved it too, at one time.  I think it is time that it was loved and had some tender care.  And hopefully my children will love and care for it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment