Thursday, April 26, 2012

1940 census

As you know the 1940 census was released at the beginning of April. I was very excited and I thought that was the first year that I would find my grandparents together.  But no, they were not married until 1941.  So 10 more years and 4 kids later, they will finally be listed together!  But I have been able to find a number of other folks.  Of course I have to page through each district but it does go pretty fast!

I found almost all of my great grandparents.  I did know where they would be located since they didn't move around much.  My other set of grandparents I haven't attempted yet since I only know they lived in Holland.  I also found a few the the great-great grandparents.  A couple as I was looking for other names and some because I looked through all three of the districts in Zeeland!

The census above is of my great-grand father Benjamin Groenhof.  My father remembers him so I went looking since I knew he had been living in Zeeland in 1940.  I found him living with his second born son.

No comments:

Post a Comment