Friday, September 30, 2011

The farm I grew up on

Me - 1976
It is hard sometimes to explain the farm I grew up on.  It was more of a hobby farm in some ways, except we did eat them.  My father liked animals so we had animals: goats, chickens, cows (for a bit), sheep, geese, ducks, and pigs.  Not all the animals at the same time, but this and that for a while.  I saw piglets being born and the start of the butchering of sheep.  (I freaked out and couldn't watch.)  I collected eggs and "helped" butcher chickens by pulling the feathers.  (My mother had this awful knife that she used to cut heads of chickens that was all nicked and dented.)  But most of this happened before I turned 10 years old.  (I was the youngest of five kids.)  Around that age my father got a more steady job, my brothers started working for the farm next door (bye-bye pigs) and we all grew up!

No comments:

Post a Comment