Sunday, September 11, 2011

Finding a grave


This past year I again spent sometime looking in cemeteries and finding grave stones.  My father-in-law even took me around to different places.  There was one stone we found that I actually had seen before, years ago.  Sophia Devilla Ward (I always liked her name) was not buried near her husband since he had died many years before her and in a different part of the state.  Looking at her stone reminded me that I needed to find his stone as well.

So I went on to the Find-a-Grave website and did some searching for the name Tillotson buried in Michigan.  I found their baby first.  Ruby had died in 1843, and there was another Tillotson listed but the first name was weird, Abrarel.  So I contacted the person who had added the memorial and she went and took a picture of the stone.  Now the stone is really hard to read but she thought it could be Asahel.  Plus the death information matched what I already had.  Yeah!

I still need to make the trip down to see the graveyard for myself and take a high resolution photograph.  I want to see if I can make out the writing on the bottom of the stone.  But it would have taking me a long time to find the right cemetery without Find-a-Grave.  Plus this husband and wife are now linked electronically on the site.  It makes me feel better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment