Sunday, August 26, 2007

(#18) Social Networking Sites

I started a Myspace page in the spring during one of my classes at Wayne. It isn't that important in my life but I find it is handy to keep up with people I don't see much. I was also able to locate a couple people I went to school with, one high school & the other college, so that was neat. My profile is set to private so you will have to request to be my friend.

I think social networking is important to teenagers and therefore, it should be important to libraries. Libraries, as part of library 2.0, need to be available to their patrons where they work and play. I know that Myspace has been limited at the Wyoming branch which might be seen as unwelcoming to teens. One thing I like about Myspace is that ability to privatize your profile. One thing I don't like is all the advertisements. A lot of teen authors have profiles and there are a lot of bands too. Most of the wizard rock bands only have a presence on Myspace where you can listen to some songs and add a song to your own profile. I have a song by Malfoy & the Dracos on my profile right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment